Saturday, August 1, 2015

Book Review: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

image



Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan...

But for Cath, being a fan is her life—and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving.

Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.

Cath’s sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can’t let go. She doesn’t want to.

Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn’t want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She’s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words... And she can’t stop worrying about her dad, who’s loving and fragile and has never really been alone.

For Cath, the question is: Can she do this?

Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories?

And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?



Format: Trade paperback
Category: Young Adult
Genre: Contemporary, Romance
Ratings: 5 stars

REVIEW:

When I started this book I was really excited to read it because of all the positive comments that it was able to receive from my peers and even from people in good reads and other social networking sites.

At first I was like, okay, maybe the characters are a little crazy but I'm sure they'll grow on me by the middle of the book. Then as I reached almost half of reading it I was so pissed and decided to put it off for a day or maybe I decided to put it off for as long as I could, I even went on and finished two books in the process.


I've always hated reading about whiney, weak girls who can't stand up for themselves. Those protagonists who don't have enough personality and individuality, heck I can't even stand being around those people in real life, much more read about them. Maybe that's the reason why I didn't finish this book soon enough because I found Cather annoying, dependent and a little whacko but at the moment I decided to finish reading it for the main reason that I ran out of books to read, I fell in love with the story.

I fell in love with Levi, I even fell in love with Cather's whacko's personality and I found myself wanting the book not to end.

This book was like a breath of fresh air from the other books that I've read and let me say that I have read hundreds of books, well maybe not hundreds but more than one hundred.

Breath of fresh air, why? Because it didn't feel like reading about a perfect character with a perfect life. It was like reading about me, about my college life in the perspective of another person. Okay well maybe i'm not that secluded as Cather is but I can honestly say that I'm pretty close.

I loved how it all worked out in the end.

I'm still pretty pissed at Wren's character but I like her more now than when I started the book.

I was originally to give this book 5 stars but decided to give it 4 stars instead because it left me yearning for more of their story but now that I think more about it, this deserves 5 stars so here ya go Rainbow Rowell! Five stars for you!

rating: ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! :)