Saturday, August 1, 2015

Book Review: How to love by Katie Cotugno

Image

Before: Reena Montero has loved Sawyer LeGrande for as long as she can remember: as natural as breathing, as endless as time. But he's never seemed to notice that Reena even exists until one day, impossibly, he does. Reena and Sawyer fall in messy, complicated love. But then Sawyer disappears from their humid Florida town without a word, leaving a devastated-and pregnant-Reena behind. 

After: Almost three years have passed, and there's a new love in Reena's life: her daughter, Hannah. Reena's gotten used to being without Sawyer, and she's finally getting the hang of this strange, unexpected life. But just as swiftly and suddenly as he disappeared, Sawyer turns up again. Reena doesn't want anything to do with him, though she'd be lying if she said Sawyer's being back wasn't stirring something in her. After everything that's happened, can Reena really let herself love Sawyer LeGrande again?

People tend to do crazy stuff when they're in love and often times they act based on their feelings without thinking things over. I think that's what this book is trying to prove.

In all honesty after i've read the plot and the back of this book awhile ago at the book store all I wanted to do is to pay for it then rush home and start reading it. Now 240 pages later i'm pissed beyond belief.

To make things clear, I'm not even going to finish reading til the end which is page 399 which is basically only 159 pages away. (or maybe I will finish it just to give the characters a chance to redeem themselves)

The book started off as something which seems to be light-read but as it progresses it turns out to be the exact opposite and the characters who are ultimately loveable and adorable at first eventually made me want to kill them, give them a quick death.

Serena 'Reena' Montero, the main protagonist, is a very smart and dedicated girl who like every girl in this world tend to crush on guys but hers is different since, since she was young she only had her eyes and heart set on Sawyer. I'm not gonna spoil much of this book but for someone who's supposed to be smart, Reena's pretty much the dumbest girl i've ever read about and that is already saying alot about her. I mean seriously? How many times must a girl be treated badly before she's had enough? And please tell me girls don't hold grudges because they do, but this one seems not to have any.

I'm not entirely sure on how to describe her, maybe she just needs a little more self respect? She just keeps on letting Sawyer push her around and he didn't do anything to deserve her! He even practically makes her take half of the blame on why he left. He didn't even work hard the first time to get her and not nearly as hard as he should've to get her back after he returned. Maybe she's stuck in this fantasy that they should end up together? Maybe it's that deep deep love she felt for him? I don't know what it is but its just stupid how she can't see that she deserves more.

Writing a review about this frustrates me more than it should since I was really expecting to be swept away with this book but now i'm pissed beyond belief.

I think what I wanted to see was Reena standing ground or maybe growing into someone who'll realize she deserves more, more than Sawyer, more than all he put her through.

Well I can't write any more words to describe I might just continue to blabber on how I hated the characters I think my two stars is already a bit too generous for this book though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! :)